Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Thing #20

Well, I've been Myspacing for some time now and have finally figured out how to use Facebook. I thought it was just for college people, which I am again now, but never could figure out how to use it. All those applications!
I also had a Friendster acct a long time ago but never check my acct anymore. It's kind of hard to find groups to join on Facebook I feel. What is the difference between groups and networks?
I am a member of the Belfry Center group, Red Hot Art Festival, MLIS at St. Kate's: the Best MLIS Program in Minnesota,Sexy Spring Collective,Facebook should have other gender options: Official Petition,BOBCATSSS 2008, Lovers of Letterpress, and Arise!. And while I was making this list I joined Paper Magazine's group. And Zinesters.
I joined these groups because they're places/things/events I'm interested in and keep up to date and talk to other people about the same things.
I can see why Facebook is the most popular social networking site. It feels like there's an application for everything and not only is it a great way to waste time, but you can see how all your friends are wasting their time.
I do like how libraries are using Myspace. I set up an acct for the Bat Annex library a while ago and we've gotten so many donations through the visibility it gave us... A library Myspace makes people think the library is cool and with it. And there is the blogging feature, posts, etc so you can let a lot of people know what's going on at once. Plus there is this non-threatening feel to Myspace, like you can be silly and not so serious and people will think the library is a fun place and not square.
I do wish LibraryThing would work more on its promised widget to be able to search the catalog right on Myspace. I'll continue adding friends, esp. ones in other states or like-minded organizations. It's nice to see how many libraries are using Myspace. The Papercut Zine Library in Cambridge, Mass uses Myspace to let us know their hours, events that are going on, and shows that are happening. And new zines they've got in. They've also got a traditional website, but their Myspace page probably gets a lot more action.

No comments: