Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Thing #10

Well, I'm already using wikis... For the Belfry I run the Wetpaint wiki, which is super easy to use. I've also added to Minnewiki in the past and really like Zinewiki, which got sabatogued a while back so they're down for the time being.
I like this idea of anyone being able to work on a document. This is perfect for group projects, the Belfry, or anything that people are working on collaboratively.
I don't know how I feel about limiting the source of information by format. I'm not sure if it's the format so much, just that Wikipedia leads to laziness. I see the reason for banning Wikipedia from citing in research is because it is a dynamic source of information. What is here today won't be there tomorrow. And it can be sabotauged and the researcher might not know there's bias in there. I'm sure if more students tried to use blog comments or livejournals for their research those would be banned too. It's generally a good idea to stick with peer-reviewed journals, and to check the background of an author. Maybe they are pathological liars. Maybe they are Stephen Glass or that woman that just faked her hard gang life.
I think it's good to teach students and researchers about the quality of trustworthy information and being discriminating.
I edited www.belfrycenter.wetpaint.com.
A while ago I edited the Bla Bla Blacksheep entry on Minnewiki, and added a few more bands. I found that website very hard to manuever today.
I've also edited Zinewiki in the past, but couldn't get to it today. That's my favorite.
I've edited and used The Infoshop Open Wiki for information on infoshops-http://www.infoshop.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

No comments: