Friday, March 7, 2008

Thing #7

When I talk about my library, the Bat Annex Free School Library, I interchangably talk about the Belfry Center for Social and Cultural Activities, which is the alternative art space that houses the library. So any events that happen at the Belfry also happen at the library. The library doesn't function on its own. Now that that's clarified, on to the blog prompts:

Our library uses email for almost all of our communication. Since the space is collectively run with no paid staff most of the communications are done outside of the Belfry. We have a phone, but unless someone is there to answer it, we don't really use that as a form of communication. Also, our computer is crappy and we have to steal internet connection, so we never use that either.
We use email to communicate between the collective members (on a Google group), or by sending individual emails to each other either through email or Myspace.
We call each other too, but some people don't have cell phones or phones at all, so it's easier to send emails internally. That way people can know what other people's responses were, too.
We also use our email contacts list as a way of letting people know what events are going on at the library. Along with Myspace postings, listserv postings, and all the other ways of promoting an event.
I love the idea of online reference. People seem to be a lot more comfortable IMing a librarian than interrupting them at their desk, or calling and talking. I really hate anything having to do with text messaging. Maybe it's because I get them on my phone and those buttons are too small to press and it takes wayyyy too long, then I end up just calling the person anyway.
I do use text messaging, and IM once in a while when my Gmail account is open. Only a handful of people I know actually will text (or tex-mex as my bf calls it) or IM me. Not very many people.
That article says tex mexes are sent when a voice call would not be appropriate...classrooms, movie theaters, libraries...
Why would someone tex mex a librarian if they were in the library and could walk up to them? What kind of urgent reference questions need to be answered while watching a movie?
I generally don't like tex mexing.
Maybe I'll attend an Opal webinar in the future. There aren't any until Monday.

No comments: